Social distancing measures are steps one can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).
They are to:
- Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
- Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
- Work from home, where possible.
- Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, pubs, restaurants, leisure centers, and similar venues as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
- Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phones, internet.
- Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services.
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is practicable.
It is strongly advised to follow the above measures as much possible and to significantly limit face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:
- Are over 70
- Have an underlying health condition
- Are pregnant