Dr Bassuni is a British consultant laparoscopic (keyhole), colorectal and bariatric surgeon.
Dr. Bassuni has over 35 years of international experience with 20 years as an established consultant in the National Health Service in England.
He has worked as a senior lecturer (professor) at Sheffield University, England.
He was awarded a visiting Professor in surgery in many other Universities.
Dr. Bassuni was the lead clinician (Head of Department) for Colorectal Cancer in a large Teaching Hospital and the Vice-Chair of Colorectal Cancer Network in the North Trent Region from 2000 to 2011.
Dr Bassuni trained in the University Hospital of Wales, and other highly specialized centres in England and the University of Strasbourg and Perugia University, Italy. His training focused on Colorectal, Bariatric, Emergency and Laparoscopic Surgery.
Certificates and Awards:
- MBBCh degree in Medicine in 1981 (Honours), Alexandria University, Egypt.
- Master Degree in Surgery, with honors, from Alexandria University in 1985
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland in 1991 and
- Fellowship of the Intercollegiate Board of Royal Colleges of Surgeons in 2000.
- Multiple Clinical Excellence Awards from UK.
- PG Cert Medical Law (Glasgow University)
Dr Bassuni is the author of a large number of articles published in peer-reviewed journals. He is regularly invited as a guest speaker in many international conferences in the field of General, Laparoscopic and Colorectal Surgery.
Dr Bassuni’s interest in surgical training and teaching is demonstrated in setting up regular workshops and training courses in the field of laparoscopic colorectal surgery and pelvic floor disorders.
Dr Bassuni is an accredited trainer in diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy for colorectal cancer screening by the Joint Committee of Gastroenterology, Great Britain.
He has also been accredited as a trainer in laparoscopic (keyhole) Colorectal Surgery by the Royal College of Surgeons and the National Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Program (LAPCO)
Dr Bassuni is a member of many surgical societies and associations, in Britain and international communities. These professional bodies are:
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI)
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland (ACPGBI)
- European Association of Laparoendoscopic
- Egyptian Society of Surgery
- Egyptian Group of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Pan Arab Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Society
- British Society of Pelvic Floor Disorders.
Dr Bassuni is a FRCS and MRCS examiner with the intercollegiate board of
- The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.
Dr Bassuni obtained a certificate in Medical Law from the University of Glasgow. He has built a large Medico-legal practice dealing with clinical negligence cases in General, Colorectal and Laparoscopic Surgery.
Mr Bassuni has worked as Chair of Surgery, Head of Department of Surgery and consultant surgeon in two major private hospitals in Abu Dhabi, UAE for a year (2013-2014).
Areas of Interest:
- General Surgery: All types of hernias, benign skin and fatty tissues masses. Correction of abdominal wall hernias and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
- Benign Colorectal and gut conditions: Constipation, Prolapse, Diverticular Disease, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative colitis and bleeding from the gut.
- Emergency surgery: Acute appendicitis, cholecystitis and peritonitis.
- Keyhole (Laproscopic) surgery for gallbladder, spleen and all abdominal condition.
- Keyhole and minimally invasive surgery for cancer of the colon, rectum and stomach cancer.
- Pain free and minimally invasive surgery for disease of the lower Gut: hemorrhoids, complex fistulas, fissures and pilonidal sinus.
- Benign Breast diseases like chronic pain, lumps and deformity and cancer Breast.
- Weight loss surgery: Laparoscopic (keyhole) sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass.
SURGICAL PROCEDURES UNDERTAKEN BY DR BASSUNI
- Complete assessment of Colorectal diseases by:
- Full clinical assessment
- Endoscopic examination
- Pelvic floor ultrasound for the diagnosis of chronic pain, constipation, and pelvic organ prolapse
- Motility studies, AnorectalManometry, and Rectal sensation and compliance.
- High resolution 3D pelvic floor physiological studies
- Bowel function X-Rays (defecography)
- Outpatient treatment of piles, including laser, radiofrequency, cryotherapy, band ligation and other methods of painless treatment.
- Outpatient treatment of anal fissures and some fistulas by most up to date methods including fistula plugs, endoscopic treatment, and others.
- Outpatient treatment of faecalincontinence applying most up to date techniques like gatekeeper and Injection of bulking agents
- Multidisciplinary assessment of overweight patients
- Posterior Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS) for treatment of urinary and faecal incontinence, functional constipation and other pelvic floor disorders.
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation for treatment of Chronic constipation, chronic pelvic pain, urinary incontinence, faecal incontinence and pelvic floor disorders.
- Ultrasound guided biopsies of masses, including breast, abdominal and thyroid masses.
- Ultrasound guided drainage of cysts and abscess including intra-abdominal collections.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic Upper GI endoscopy including treatment of bleeding ulcers and varices, excision of polyps, dilatation of strictures (narrowing of gullet) and insertion of stents for benign and malignant conditions
- Diagnostic and therapeutic lower GI endoscopy (colonoscopy) including screening for cancer, removal of polyps by various tech techniques (SMR, ESD etc…), dilatation of benign and malignant strictures and insertion of Expandable Metallic Stents
- Outpatient endoscopy as Rigid Sigmoidoscopy, Flexible sigmoidoscopy and trans-cavitary biopsies.
- Trans-anal ultrasound for assessment of anal sphincters, chronic anal pain, recurrent and complex anal fistulas.
- Trans-rectal ultrasound for the staging of rectal tumours, benign and malignant (cancer staging)
- Endoscopic treatment of intestinal obstruction including volvulus, strictures and cancer.
- Endoscopic treatment of morbid obesity
Major Surgical Procedures:
- Gallbladder Surgery: including Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, Exploration of Common Bile Duct and Partial Excision of gallbladder. Corrective surgery of complications after cholecystectomy as Hepaticojejunostomy and bypass procedures.
- All Types of Hernia Surgery, open, day surgery, Laparoscopic.
- All Major abdominal surgery, small bowel, gastric and duodenal ulcers included.
- All types of abdominal Colorectal Surgery, mainly Laparoscopic (Keyhole). The following list is an example, but not exhaustive:
- All types of hemi colectomies; right, left and segmental colectomies
- Anterior resection of rectum for benign and malignant (cancer) diseases.
- Rectopexy (fixation of rectum for prolapse).
- Surgery of Inflammatory Bowel Disease including Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. These operations include creation of Ileal Pouch for ulcerative colitis.
- All types of pelvic floor surgery, including Rectocele, Rectal Prolapse and pelvic organ prolapse surgery.
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Disorders, mainly sleeve gastrectomy, R Y Gastric Bypass and Mini- Gastric Bypass.